History

Protecting Niagara for over 135 Years

Our origins were born out of a need to serve our community.  In 1880, Bertie and Willoughby Mutual was formed by a group of farmers who were unable to find fire insurance at a reasonable cost.  They got together to form their own insurance company. In 1898, Clinton Mutual was formed under similar circumstances. These two companies operated independently until 1970 when they amalgamated to Bertie & Clinton Mutual Insurance Company. Recently, in 2018, our name was changed to BCM Insurance with a new logo.

Today our insurance coverage has grown to include a wide range of policies including farm, auto, residential and commercial insurance.

BCM Insurance is a Mutual Insurance Company, meaning that we are community based, owned and operated by our policyholders. BCM Insurance is governed by a Board of Directors, which is elected from among our Policyholders. We are also members of the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association (OMIA), which has a long history of serving the mutual community.

A lot has changed over the years, however our approach to taking care of the insurance needs of our policyholders has remained the same. At BCM Insurance, “We have been keeping promises since 1880.”